lunes, 7 de diciembre de 2015

A refreshing trip through the mountains

I am just back from a two-day trip in Madrid. After this experience, I have realized that I really prefer traveling around the countryside, being in touch with the environment, to visiting overcrowded places. Specially now, when the Christmas time is approaching, and everybody decides to go shopping simultaneously.

The second blog entry corresponds to a trip that I took last summer. We spent a few days in Sierra Grazalema in Cadiz. We arrived in Grazalema in early August. This year the weather was specially hot by that time. Although we were in the mountains above 1,000 meters over the sea level, the temperature was quite warm to do outdoors activities. Our initial idea was to go trekking through the mountains. After talking to the hotel receptionist, she recommended us changing our plans. She suggested taking a trip from El Bosque to Benamahoma following the course of a river. The river was in a valley between two mountains. The path that we had to follow along the riverside was almost fully covered by vegetation and trees during all the course. Thus, it was a good plan for that torrid day.

We started our trip about 6pm. The path was fully covered by trees and vegetation as promised. It was pleasant to walk following the river. Although that it was difficult for us to reach the starting point, we found there plenty of tourists. Some of them were French. I do always wonder how foreigners manage to get to such places or who recommended them to go trekking there. 


Once we started our trip, we found plenty of small waterfalls in the river. It was still hot, so I did not want to miss the opportunity of taking a bath. The bottom of the river was covered by stones with mug. We decided to not remove our shoes to avoid having problems with the stones and our feet. After selecting a nice waterfall to swim around, I jumped in the water. It was really cold, but refreshing. I managed to swim against the current flow and reach the exact point where the waterfall water was falling into the river. I have never gone to a spa before. However, I think that our experience should be something similar or even better. The waterfall has two meters high. Although It does not sound spectacular, the water pressure on my body was high. After a few minutes being there, it started to hurt my skin.


During our trip, we found a lot of people along the river. We swam in different places and we came back about 10pm. It was a very nice experience that I can really recommend. During our way back, we crossed a town that was celebrating its local fair. Despite not wearing suitable clothes for the event, we stopped there to see what was going on. We had the opportunity of trying their local dishes that were delicious and original. I ate wild boar and deer meat.

Finally, we reached our hotel late in the late evening. It was undoubtedly a good starting point for our holidays. Maybe, that unexpected plan was the best activity that we did during the last summer.

6 comentarios:

  1. I did that very same path some years ago and it is a pleasant walk indeed!!
    I was as well away a couple of days myself during last extended weekend. We stayed in Montánchez (close to Caceres) and from there up to 6 signaled paths can be found with different length (from 2 kms to 16 kms) which we intend to do in the near future. (Additionally, the culinary attractive of the area cannot be dismissed, can it?!)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks Selma. Please, publish your experiences if you take a trip to these unexplored paths. I have never gone trekking in Extremadura.

      Eliminar
  2. I was told several times about this path, however I haven´t walk it despite I love trekking. And about Montachez, Selma, you were close to my little village. Juan Antonio, have you tried Camino de Santiago?

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Acutally, I never did it. I have been twice in Galicia during summer, but I never had the opportunity of taking the Camino the Santiago. At some point, I went to Ourense and I walked along the riverside of river Miño. I remember that I had the opportunity of taking a bath of thermal water. Maybe, I can post this experience next time.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I did the Camino de Santiago, long ago though. I stongly recommend it.

      Eliminar